Where to access a Free RAT test or RAT self-test kits
- Free Supervised RAT & PCR testing sites – Anyone can access see below for ** Criteria
- RAT self test kits for Private or Personal Use – Companies & the Public can purchase approved RAT self-test kits (click here)
- Free Home RAT Self-Test kits for Symptomatic or Household Contacts see below for instructions
|If you have COVID-19 symptoms, or you’re a household contact or a critical worker, you can order Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) kits for yourself and your household.|
- Go to the Ministry of Health website to confirm you eligibility and order your free home testing kit: requestrats.covid19.health.nz
- Instead of each household having to waste petrol and time driving to an Auckland Community Collection Site: (West | Central | North | South) only to find they may have closed around 4pm, you can now order and collect your Free Home RAT Self-Test kits from us here at 21 Laingfield Terrace, Laingholm, 7 days 9am-9pm. Choose free delivery if you are self isolating & unable to arrange someone to collect on your behalf.
- Click on the button above to confirm your free order using our special free coupon code: R-1234567 at the CART or CHECKOUT
- Each member of your household will receive one five pack of Rapid Antigen Tests so make sure you order this number from us.
The number of people in your household must match the answer you provided on the Ministry of Health order system.
- Important: add a note on the order with the RAT order number eg. R-1983469 from the text message you received from the Ministry of Health (see example below)
| ** EXAMPLE ONLY TEXT**
Kia ora, your RAT order number is: R-1983469
You can pick your RATs up now from a collection site
If needed someone else can collect on your behalf.
They will need to bring the order number.
- We will text you back to confirm collection from our local contactless drive thru (if you are self isolating & unable to collect then text us back).
- You must not have already received your free RAT order from any of the main Community Collection Sites as we are consolidating everyone’s orders and collecting these at the same time on everyone’s behalf
We are providing the same number & types of tests locally in advance from our own stocks:
- If you require a printed colour copy then please let us know, otherwise we will save the trees and printing costs.
** If you have trouble ordering your free RAT Self-Test kits from requestrats.covid19.health.nz then Email [email protected] or call us on 0800 222 478 and press 3. They are available Monday to Friday, 8am – 8pm.
** Criteria – Publicly funded (free) tests are free if it is part of the public health response. This includes if you:
- have COVID-19 symptoms (e.g. a fever, new or worsening cough, sore or scratchy throat, shortness of breath, sneezing and running nose)
- are a Household Contact
- are a vaccinated critical worker who has been identified as a close contact and need a test to go to work, and your work is part of the Close Contact Exemption Scheme
- are part of the healthcare and emergency service workforce
- Asymptomatic unvaccinated and requiring a test for domestic travel or to attend court (provided by pharmacy)
- have been told to get a test by a Health Official/Professional (provided free from your doctor or health provider)
For a full & comprehensive list of criteria please refer to the following Ministry of Health web page: Rapid Antigen Testing (RAT)
Close contacts of someone who has COVID-19 should be tested:
- If someone in your household tests positive for COVID-19, you must self-isolate for seven days, unless you previously tested positive and fully recovered within the last three months. Day zero is the day the first person became symptomatic or got their COVID test. When they get to day 3 and day 7 of their isolation, YOU need to get tested using a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT). You stay in isolation until the case has completed their 7 days of isolation.
- Non-household close contacts do not need to self-isolate. If you develop symptoms, get a test and stay home until a negative test result is returned..
So what is Rapid Antigen Testing?
Scientifically speaking, a Rapid Antigen Test (also called a ‘RAT test’) is used to detect the proteins found in the outer part of the COVID-19 virus. In the real world, a RAT test is basically a way of detecting whether someone has the COVID-19 virus.
But I thought you could just go and get tested easily enough – why should I care about RAT testing?
The answer to that is in the first word – it’s RAPID – a RAT test has the ability to detect the virus in you or your staff in a matter of minutes, so action can be taken much more quickly to avoid onward spread. This keeps the rest of your workforce safer and means staff do not have to be stood down while awaiting a test result (which may come back negative, meaning lost productivity for nothing).
So do I have to send my staff anywhere to get a RAT test?
No, that’s the beauty of Rapid Antigen Testing – it can be done on site in a matter of minutes, meaning minimum disruption to your work day.
So how is this test carried out?
Some more good news here – Rapid Antigen Testing is the least invasive method of testing. It is a nasal swab, but it’s only inserted into the lower part of the nasal cavity (not all the way up like standard COVID testing). Because it doesn’t need to go so high up the nasal cavity, it’s much more comfortable and less nerve-wracking for your staff! Once the swab has been taken, it can be tested on site with the results available in less than 15 minutes.