Information for Aucklanders Affected by the Recent Storm & Flooding
where to go for emergency support

Civil Defence Centres

Civil Defence Centres, Shelters, Community Led Centres, Community Hubs

In the case of emergencies, CDCs will be opened and staffed for people needing refuge

  • Shelters: provide a place to be safe while the worst of the weather passes. Blankets and hot drinks will be available, but shelters aren’t equipped for extended stays.
  • Civil Defence Centres (CDCs): are equipped to provide you with a safe place to eat, sleep and access essential support services.
  • Community Hubs: Community Support Hubs have been opened which will be staffed by government welfare and support services. Agencies and community groups, alongside Auckland Emergency Management, will be there to provide needs assessments and offer support, including accommodation if needed.
  • Community Led Centres: These sites are stood up by community groups, at marae, in local churches or by neighbourhoods using local buildings. They are not run by Auckland Emergency Management and the following information has been supplied for us to share. Please check the group’s website or Facebook page, if they have one, before you visit one of these community-lead centres

What to bring: items for children and babies, like formula, nappies and toys; essential medicines; photo identification (if you have it); and warm clothes. Pets are welcome but dogs must be on a leash and if possible muzzled. You may be asked to keep your dog in your car. Cats in a cage or carrier, if possible, please.

If you must bring pets to a Civil Defence Centre:  

        • Dogs – must be on a leash and should be muzzled. You may be asked to keep your dog in your car.
        • Cats – must be in a carrier.  

Civil Defence Centres (CDCs) and Community Support Hubs (CSH) West Auckland by Local Board

A full list is here: Civil Defence Centres & Shelters

Get together a grab bag and a plan in case you need to evacuate. Include warm clothes and your medications in your bag. Play it safe. Don’t take any chances.

Community-Led Centres

Community-led centres play a vital and important role in helping Aucklanders affected by the flooding. They are supervised by community leaders and assist Aucklanders to keep safe. 

Disclaimer: the information on this list is accurate at the date of publishing and is subject to change based on the impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle and the needs of our communities. Sites will open as and when they are needed. Check for the most up to date information at all times.

Emergency Food

For emergency food, apply for an emergency Civil Defence payment or contact your local Food Bank

Emergency Accommodation

For emergency accommodation due to the flooding, apply for an emergency Civil Defence payment
If you, or someone you know, needs urgent accommodation, call Auckland Emergency Management phone 0800 222 200.

Financial Support

Financial support is available from WINZ for anyone who needs help as a result of an emergency. You do not need to be on a benefit, anyone can apply.
WINZ will help with:

  • Medical costs.
  • Power bills.
  • Repairs or replacing appliances.
  • Emergency accommodation costs.
  • Loss of income because you can’t work. 

For more information, visit the Work and Income website:
Or phone 0800 400 100 (phone lines are open each day 7.00am – 5.00pm). 
NOTE: You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

Civil Defence Payments

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by this latest Auckland flooding event.
You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment.
Civil Defence payments can help with:

  • Emergency food, clothing, and bedding.
  • Accommodation costs if you have been evacuated and are staying in accommodation such as a motel, hotel, or temporary rental accommodation.
  • Loss of income due to an inability to work caused by the flooding.
  • Payment if you have evacuees staying with you in places such as a private home, marae, or community centres.

For more information, phone Work and Income – 0800 400 100.
NOTE: You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

Help with other costs

Depending on your situation, there are other ways that Work and Income may be able to help you and your family with things like medical costs, bedding, food, rent, power bills, repairs or replacing appliances.

You don’t need to be on a benefit to get help, it’s also available to people on a low income.

More information can be found at or phone 0800 559 009.

NOTE: You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.